Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports, Eastern Centre started in the
year 1982 and was functioning at Eden garden, Kolkata. The new complex at Salt
Lake City was inaugurated on 23rd January, 1983 by the then president of India,
his Excellency Gyani Zail Singh. After amalgamation of snipes with the sports
authority of India, it was renamed as Netaji Subhas eastern centre in the year
1987. The center is spread over 42 acres of land and the present complex has all
modern infrastructural facilities, ranging from training, medical, scientific,
lodging, and boarding etc. Which are required for the training of the
sportspersons. The areas of operation of eastern region are as following:-
- ANDAMAN & NICOBAR ISLAND
- WEST BENGAL
Main Objectives and Functions:
- To conduct coaching camps and assist the national teams for participation
in International Competition.
- To implement and monitor the Sports Promotional Schemes of SAI and
government of India in Eastern Region.
- To conduct Diploma Course in Coaching for various Sports and Games.
- To raise the Technical competence and knowledge of coaches by conducting
- To assist and conduct Refresher Courses for coaches and Physical Education
Teachers of Eastern and North Eastern States.
- To provide organizational support, documentation and sports scientific
information with the view to achieve in sports.
- To co-operate with various organizations, to provide information on sports
- To identify sports talent among various age groups and groom them for
- To provide scientific backup to sports person to achieve high level
performance in sports.